Make: Haricots Verts
Green French Fries. This is what I’ve named my favorite veggie dish du jour. The pitch has been successful: my three young sons (two of whom are veggie haters) eat them without complaint. I don’t like cooking, so you can be certain this recipe is extra simple.
- Buy a bag or two of Trader Joe’s Haricots Verts ($2.99/bag). To score the freshest bag, slide your hand to the back of the display. Look for the bag with the brightest green beans.
- Boil a pot of salted water.
- Dump one bag of haricots verts in the boiling water. The moment you smell them, they should be ready to be drained. This will take a couple minutes. It’s important they don't overcook: you want them al dente. Keep in mind they will continue cooking a bit after being drained.
- Drain the beans and put them in a bowl.
- Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the juice of half a lemon. This is Silicon Valley after all—one of your neighbors likely has a tree dripping in lemons that they’d willingly share.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve. No need to stress over serving them hot; they are just as delicious at room temperature.
You bought a second bag so you can make them again tomorrow. 3 reasons: vegetables, delicious, easy.
Addendum: Add one clove of crushed, raw garlic to turn up the flavor volume and make these truly irresistible.