Make: Soft-Boiled Eggs
One of my favorite breakfasts is soft-boiled eggs. Preparing a perfect soft-boiled egg is a challenging feat; I've attempted for decades and have over-cooked and under-cooked many an egg. I finally mastered the fine art of soft boiling and today I'm sharing the secret to success for this hearty and healthy breakfast.
- Boil a small pot of salted water.
- Add two eggs.
- Cover pot, turn heat to low, and set a timer for 6 minutes. Six minutes results in an egg with a nearly solid white and a runny yolk, which is my definition of perfect.
- While the eggs cook, prepare your toast and cut it into thin strips.
- When the timer goes off, remove eggs from pot, briefly cool under running cold water, dry off, and place them in egg cups.
- Just before eating, crack off the top of each egg with a spoon or knife. Dip toast strips into the egg yolk, and scoop out the remaining egg with a spoon.